Box Doom - Community Project [Slots Filled]

1 hour ago, LSC Lasico said:

@randomsounds01 So, where would slots 75, 76 and 77 be? Since apparently now the slots dont correlate with the ones in the original screenshot.

i believe these ones

image.png.fdb45cd2b353b2d3d5575e8516238d01.png

Edited by crug

20 minutes ago, crug said:

i believe these ones

image.png.fdb45cd2b353b2d3d5575e8516238d01.png

That would make these two particular rooms to have the number 71 and 72, yet in the latest screenshot by the OP, their number is lower by one.

1543934B-06EB-4CB7-B803-33A211751EA4.png

And it's done! It started off as a plutonia inspired map but it ended up very different aesthetically. includes difficulty levels and 32-in-24 tex which is the texture pack I used. -complevel 9 was used, but uses no boom features. Also let me know if it turned out too difficult for it's placement

box21.zip

doom01.png

7 hours ago, tewgytaylor said:

And it's done! It started off as a plutonia inspired map but it ended up very different aesthetically. includes difficulty levels and 32-in-24 tex which is the texture pack I used. -complevel 9 was used, but uses no boom features. Also let me know if it turned out too difficult for it's placement

box21.zip

doom01.png

Beat first try in 16 seconds.

9 hours ago, tewgytaylor said:

box21.zip

doom01.png

r u a new mapper? the design of the box look really good!

5 minutes ago, No-Man Baugh said:

@Djoga How did you do that music transfer on your maps? i'm looking at it in slade and thing type 14101 doesn't seem to have an actual thing associated with it

image.png.b0cb50065a4ec251e5fc39a57a4503c7.png

in prboom+ things 14101-14163 are responsible for changing music

Edited by Djoga

1 hour ago, scientifikgenius said:

r u a new mapper? the design of the box look really good!

I am a new mapper! I did put a lot of thought into the looks so I'm glad to see people enjoying it

4 minutes ago, Djoga said:

in prboom+ things 14101-14163 are responsible for changing music

OH so like the first 3 digits are what lets the port know that it's a music change thing, and then the last 2 digits (01-63) point to the tracks defined in the musinfo file with the same number?

That's cool! I'm kinda secptical on it's overall implementation in PRBoom+ since my first encounter with mid-map music changes on boom was in D.I.Y.'s map 10, which has this amazing sequence where A Fifth of Beethoven plays at a disco in a slaughter sequence, but it's ruined if you load from a save since it doesn't make the switch if you do so. but I've tested this scenario with your box and it seems to still play the music, so yeah I hope the project leads end up putting that musinfo and midi into the final release

@randomsounds01 Based on the box orientation changes we talked about, would you mind changing my boxes from 71/72 to 70/71 in the original post so interested mappers know slot 72 is now open? And could you add my titles to them: "The Blue Room" and "The Red Room". Thanks! I know organizing this project and combining everyone's submissions has probably been quite time-consuming for you so I appreciate your help!

Just now, Cutman 999 said:

Sorry for asking kind of late, but the tag limit rule was removed?

I don't know about that, but maybe it can be useful for this project or future projects: How about giving 10 tags to the editor for each room? This way, room 1 would have tags 1-10 available, room 2 would have 11-20, and so on, and the head of the project wouldn't have to scramble so much about fitting things together in the end. Just a thought that occurred to me now. 

17 hours ago, tewgytaylor said:

box21.zip

doom01.png

Congrats on your first map. It really looks great : ) I also tested it but I died once.

Only the overall lightning and sprite decoration looks a bit plain and simple. Some shades and lights would make this look much better, imo. See below:

Spoiler

Untitled.jpg.02938b05ee0b1ac09552c9d635f5bd67.jpg

I changed the general brightness down to 128. Added some light "gradients" in the torches corners, and a few candles here and there with their corresponding light gradient as well. I think it looks more atmospheric.  Monsters removed for the sake of taking a clean screenshot. But your original version is also quite good already!

Screenshot from PrBoom-Plus

Edited by macro

19 minutes ago, macro said:

Congrats on your first map. It really looks great : ) I also tested it but I died once.

Only the overall lightning and sprite decoration looks a bit plain and simple. Some shades and lights would make this look much better, imo. See below:

Reveal hidden contents

Untitled.jpg.02938b05ee0b1ac09552c9d635f5bd67.jpg

I changed the general brightness down to 128. Added some light "gradients" in the torches corners, and a few candles here and there with their corresponding light gradient as well. I think it looks more atmospheric.  Monsters removed for the sake to taking a clean screenshot. But your original version is also quite good already!

Screenshot from PrBoom-Plus

Damn your right about the lighting for sure. Thanks for the tips!

I think people are putting in way too many armor pickups lol.

Like every 3 rooms there is a green armor or even a blue armor.

8 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

Maybe once all 80 rooms are made the map progression will undergo some changes.

32 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

Lmao, what happens when people are accustomed to pistol starting their maps in testing, yeah, the unconventional idea just makes testing a nightmare from aa project standpoint.

On 9/6/2023 at 4:39 PM, Raith138 said:

3: Some of the boxes (the one with slime and the 2 revenants for an example) has more then 5 enemies.

When i miscounted the enemies, lmao

1 minute ago, Cutman 999 said:

When i miscounted the enemies, lmao

The monster count rule was changed, you can keep them.

Alright I put my rooms in one wad. Djoga 13-38.zip

For your convenience I changed their tags so room 13's tags are 131-134 and room 38's are 381-384. I also made their layouts to be copypasted before the rooms themselves.

Spoiler

image.png.a224aa737ea113e93a59459f18fccd1e.png

In order not to break unconnected sectors (85, 217 etc.), you first need to copypaste the layout and then drag the corresponding room inside it with "Merge Dragged Vertices Only" enabled in "Edit".

Edited by Djoga

The new alpha is broken.

The second room is missing a texture above the computer panels.

And you spawn in the middle of nowhere and get thrown into the second room making a voodoo doll in the first.

1 minute ago, Raith138 said:

The new alpha is broken.

The second room is missing a texture above the computer panels.

And you spawn in the middle of nowhere and get thrown into the second room making a voodoo doll in the first.

The player starts need to be swapped.

So I checked out the new alpha and even though the player starts are broken, this has me really excited to see the final product. The things people are able to do with just a tiny box is honestly inspiring. Possibly inspiring enough to make me submit another map. We'll see

EDIT: Yeah I'm making another one. Give me slot 28 please.

EDIT 2: Actually scratch that I think I'm good with just the one submission

Edited by tewgytaylor

44 minutes ago, tewgytaylor said:

So I checked out the new alpha and even though the player starts are broken, this has me really excited to see the final product. The things people are able to do with just a tiny box is honestly inspiring. Possibly inspiring enough to make me submit another map. We'll see

EDIT: Yeah I'm making another one. Give me slot 28 please.

There is a lot of stuff broken for now, but it feels nice to have an update. 

2 minutes ago, jo2ukegappy said:

There is a lot of stuff broken for now, but it feels nice to have an update. 

For sure. Chances are they'll fix things in the coming updates though