Box Doom - Community Project [Slots Filled]

1 hour ago, Halfblind said:

Please help me resolve this issue thanks.

I've searched the whole thread for comments by Ad Nauseam claiming box 41, but there are none. The only occurrence of that name is in a comment by @randomsounds01 on page 1, where Ad Nauseam is quoted showing interest of participating. But their original comment is missing.

I'm suspecting that Ad Nauseam has left this forum and has decided to delete their comments. That would also explain why you can't send them a PM. I might be wrong though.

2 minutes ago, Grizzly Old B said:

I've searched the whole thread for comments by Ad Nauseam claiming box 41, but there are none. The only occurrence of that name is in a comment by @randomsounds01 on page 1, where Ad Nauseam is quoted showing interest of participating. But their original comment is missing.

I'm suspecting that Ad Nauseam has left this forum and has decided to delete their comments. That would also explain why you can't send them a PM. I might be wrong though.

nope, just a name change. ad nauseam is philcul and they were last active 2 hrs ago

Edited by scientifikgenius

29 minutes ago, Grizzly Old B said:

He actually just changed his name to @philcul. It happens sometimes and it's kinda hard to find people like this, but yeah, they were active 2 hours ago. Do you still feel like submitting a box to this project, philcul?

Edited by DoomGappy

8 minutes ago, scientifikgenius said:

nope, just a name change. ad nauseam is philcul and they were last active 2 hrs ago

Thanks for pointing that out. Now that you say it, it's kind of obvious, but I was just searching for the name, not reading the actual comments, d'oh!

20 minutes ago, Grizzly Old B said:

Thanks for pointing that out. Now that you say it, it's kind of obvious, but I was just searching for the name, not reading the actual comments, d'oh!

dont worry man lol it was an honest mistake i understand

19 hours ago, DoomGappy said:

He actually just changed his name to @philcul. It happens sometimes and it's kinda hard to find people like this, but yeah, they were active 2 hours ago. Do you still feel like submitting a box to this project, philcul?

Hey y'all, really sorry for leaving you hanging - I totally forgot this project. Fastest I could do would be next weekend but I can understand if that's too late. 

3 minutes ago, philcul said:

Fastest I could do would be next weekend but I can understand if that's too late.

I guess that's mainly up to @randomsounds01 to decide.

Because it's a bit ambiguous, may I ask if by “next weekend”, do you mean the weekend starting the day after tomorrow? Or rather the end of next week?

I do mean the weekend of next week as I am gone for a few days starting tomorrow. I'm fine with leaving the project if that's too long, I can totally understand that. 

Don't worry, I don't think the deadline will be that strict. It has already been shifted from November to December. As we say in Germany: “Abwarten und Tee trinken!” – “Wait and drink tea!” :-)

Looks like all slots have been submitted, but just wanted to submit an extra box as well for kicks and giggles. This one's a super cramped engine/generator room that's meant to be a bit of spiritual predecessor to my Room 57. Will probably turn this into a full map someday. Feel free to try it out!

stochastic-bd-mm-extra.zip

Title: Mother Machine

Author: stochastic

Build Time: 3 days

Difficulties Implemented: all

Textures: OTEX 1.1

Tested With: DSDA-Doom 0.26.2, GZDoom 4.6.1

Size: 512 x 512

BD-sto-mother-machine.PNG.9f4183240d104735bd95596bcd3d5d5d.PNG

Spoiler

doom24.png.48f0996221d9e2f08de5d5712e592cf9.png

doom25.png.59bdf0bc0847e1447b90c62086100c31.png

Edited by stochastic
Added midtexture fence

I'm gonna work on my map now, but I want to be clear if this room here is mine? It's the 50th room in the OP screenshot when going left to right, top to bottom

image.png.9c42d079cced43a4dccf03c6f868990c.png

Oh, and since not all maps are submitted yet, but all slots are filled, I'm gonna change the deadline all the way to March 2024 just in case. (I'll stop extending the deadline once we have all submissions.)

Initial version of bonus room 2 (“Gallery of Modern Arch”):

BOXxy_GrizzlyOldB.zip

Oops, I made another one, just for fun! @randomsounds01, feel free to use it in case someone else drops out or doesn't get finished in time. Or if you want to include secret boxes 81 and 82, like secret levels 31 and 32 in a “normal” megawad. If it doesn't get included, I'll save it for putting it into another level maybe.

Come visit the Gallery of Modern Arch – it has some surprises for you! The current exhibition features Doom 2's SKY1, SKY2, and SKY3 textures, plus the spooky faces thing. If this room gets included in the final wad, I would propose to replace these images by screenshots of memorable scenes from earlier boxes. I think that would be a nice gimmick, making the whole wad more coherent.

I have tested the room with GZDoom and DSDA-Doom. Player 1 start + weapon/ammo in starting corridor as well as exit linedef in ending corridor will of course have to be removed. Feel free to give the room a try – feedback much appreciated.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

BOXxy_1.png.f91825ac5a4604b8ecaca7661bddf768.png

BOXxy_2.png.7901aecc32f64c7c92c2f00ff972edae.png

Map Overview:

Spoiler

BOXxy_map.png.8fee33c545e8583264bfa4654a618b04.png

Map Info:

Number: xy
Author: Grizzly Old B
Title: Gallery of Modern Arch
Dimensions: 512x512
Tags used: 1-4
Enemy count: 5 (HMP, UV, NM), 4 (ITYTD, HNTR) 
Difficulties implemented: yes
Custom textures: GOBCONC1 (from a concrete wall I photographed in my birth town)

Edited by Grizzly Old B

Okay, so I might have overestimated how long these maps will take. So far, there are only 3 unsubmitted boxes, as @Halfblind has notified me. 

(In PMs)

image.png.afc2094d1872c2c8f9d07de11f5b70f7.png

So it is definitely coming out a lot sooner than I thought.

I've got all the textures, and that secret 81-82 idea might be a good idea!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's been some time since halfblind (who was helping with the organization of this project) has appeared. Anyone has any other contact links to him? Discord, maybe?

• 4 weeks later...

I think the project organizers were giving us until sometime in March to finish our maps, but the lack of updates is definitely concerning.

10 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

It doesn't take 6 months to fill a 256x256 box. Just close submissions, wrap it up, call it a day.

@Halfblind, who was helping organize this project, has vanished. It would be great if other people could help fill in the slot he left, as he seemed to be one of the people who was the most involved with packing this up, together with @randomsounds01. I've been trying to talk to him about it recently. It's not over yet!

How on earth did I forget about this?????

Anyway, major apologies for taking way too long on this. Life's been hectic for a bit and this was one of the many things I've completely forgot about. Anyway, it's done: Wavy_BOX50.zip

Title: My Tiles!

Author: Wavy

Textures: Ultimate Doom Textures for Doom 2 (though I don't think I used many, if any?)

Size: 512x512 w/ 10 monsters max

Screenshot:

doom47-.png.39e882392d89af651b12ecc49bfb20d1.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, guys. Quick update.

@randomsounds01 and @BUYXRAYS have allowed me and @Grizzly Old B to help them with the final packing of the wad. The person who was helping them before, @Halfblind, hasn't been online for a long time. Halfblind has some severe chronic conditions he has explained here in the forums some time ago, and so if anybody knows how to get in touch with him, please tell us, as we're worried about him. Regarding to why it's taking so long to put the boxes together, here are a few reasons:

1 - Having different sized boxes makes for a much more unpredictable grid size. There is a lot of moving boxes around to accomodate for that, but the result will probably look more organic and navigable in the automap when it's done.
2 - Some of the maps were submitted without using the tag system based on box number, and so we are having to edit and double check if everything works as intended. We might need help from some of the mappers to check if everything looks and plays fine in the end. Testing and retesting for compatibility is also necessary.
3 - We also plan on making a little HUB area to allow for easier backtracking if needed, though progression wasn't something that was very taken into consideration, it is still fun to be able to revisit the areas if the player so wants.

Despite the hardships, things are coming along well. We'll probably post a playable update soon. Thanks for being understanding.

Edited by DoomGappy

4 hours ago, DoomGappy said:

Stuffs

While you’re at it, can you please rename box 77 (my third box, called “Amania Protectorste”) into “Amania Anomaly” pls?

On 2/15/2024 at 7:26 AM, Wavy said:

How on earth did I forget about this?????

Anyway, major apologies for taking way too long on this. Life's been hectic for a bit and this was one of the many things I've completely forgot about. Anyway, it's done: Wavy_BOX50.zip

Title: My Tiles!

Author: Wavy

Textures: Ultimate Doom Textures for Doom 2 (though I don't think I used many, if any?)

Size: 512x512 w/ 10 monsters max

Screenshot:

doom47-.png.39e882392d89af651b12ecc49bfb20d1.png

I think your room is flipped. Room 50 is supposed to go like this, so I'd have to mirror it.

image.png.4d9cd6a5be8914a76a60d0dbacee3171.png

Here is how it looks so far. To the left are boxes that have not yet been put inside the final file. To the right are boxes that have already been allocated.

kdDlIwg.png

This is how it looks so far. I'm spacing out the boxes to make room for the new boxes. To the upper right there are monster closets, voodoo dolls, the HUB area and the dummy sectors. They will be alocated somewhere the player can't hear the teleporting sound effects blaring while playing.

WFu17nM.png

And here is my list of inquiries so far:

@No-Man Baugh, @DynamiteKaitorn and @Matt Eldrydge, your boxes seem to have been mixed a little. I'd appreciate if you could resend them here in the topic. This is what boxes 06, 07 and 08 look like now (The box with a V is box 5, I'm counting them from 5 to 5):

gKUsGwb.png

@Matt Eldrydge, Box 08 allows for no backtracking. That will probably not be a big problem since we'll have a hub, but if you want to change this, we can do it too. The secret without any tells feels a bit weird but that's just my personal opinion.
@Cutman 999, Box 16 has a Hall of mirrors (untextured back of stairs) and a Softblock (behind the same stairs). It also has a weirdly shaped rock formation after the door that I don't know if is necessary to the map or not. 
@scientifikgenius, Box 22 seems to have been reshaped to fit the map progression. I don't know if you agreed to that, but here is what it looks like now. 
eeIFQ54.png

@Dragonfly, your Box 36 is not working correctly. I think I understood how it works, but couldn't really fix it on my end. If possible, can you resubmit it using only tags 360-369? Thanks in advance. 

Edit: I found a version of the box with the appropriate tags, you don't need to worry about it for now. 
@Djoga, box 38 has the same problem as Dragonfly's box.  Can you resubmit it using only tags 380-389?
@DankMetal, Box 40 had a Hall of mirrors effect if the player raised the passing platform and lowered the rocky platform. It was fixed.
@No-Man Baugh, Box 52 doesn't appear to work correctly. I have loaded OTEX, CC4Tex and Doom 2, but the textures don't appear. Can you resend it to me?
@crug, in Box 78, the room appears to be pasted backwards. The switch that lowers the platform with the super shotgun can be improved a little if you allow it. I think a single double sided linedef feels weird, best to make a physical floating button. 

That is all I have noticed for now. I've spent a long time putting most of the boxes on the same level and I'm playing the map with no monsters to check if the mechanics work properly. Updates coming soon. 

Edited by DoomGappy

16 minutes ago, DoomGappy said:

@Cutman 999, Box 16 has a Hall of mirrors (untextured back of stairs) and a Softblock (behind the same stairs). It also has a weirdly shaped rock formation after the door that I don't know if is necessary to the map or not. 

Send screenshot, I don't know if that is in the actually compiled version of the wad or in the individual map itself. What you mean on "weirdly shaped rock formation"? Is that supposed to be the rectangle before the start or what? I was playtesting the map alone and didn't find absolutely anything.