[idgames!] Hardfest 2 - Boom Community Project with 40 challenging levels

1 hour ago, Astro X said:

Hey, @Firedust! The way out is an archvile jump. You get an invul during the fight, so it should be okay to perform it. If you happen to revisit the area, a teleporter appears, so you don't have to jump again, obviously.

So if you kill all the viles (which is what I did), you're screwed? :p
I think it'd be a good idea to hint at it in some capacity.

• 2 weeks later...

Done with all maps, my neck, shoulder and jaw muscles are screaming in pain, but worth every second of it. Map 40 made me question my existence. Though my favorite was map 12 "Weeping Angel", an absolute masterpiece work of art, from the visuals to the music. That map transported me to another place, an experience out of this world. Overall 5/5. Would suffer again.

Spoiler

Hint: a lil' birdie told me that there may or may not be a Map99 :3

Edited by Gorxen

I skipped to map40 cuz I was curious.  On HMP it tore me a new one, but overall great experience.  It taught me more "push through" gameplay, it's not my first instinct to do that most fights, but this map forces you too.  The longer room, right after you get the infinite rocket launcher almost broke me tho lol.  Great design forcing you to weapon switch.  

I will go through the rest of the wad and play maps here and there when I have time :)   

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, after a month's work (and a lot of procrastinating on my part, sorry!), here is the RC2 update for Hardfest 2! Featuring a bunch of changes & bugfixes to the existing maps and a load of new music too!

You can download it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MI-jFoxwPBhcQS5TTPJC91STLDoHkuuX/view?usp=sharing (it's also linked in the OP if that's more your speed)

IMPORTANT IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY DOING A PLAYTHROUGH: The map order in Episode 4 has been moved around a bit, so if you're currently on that episode, then you might wanna warp through it quickly to make sure you've actually played them all :P

Full Changelog:

Spoiler

- "Fallen Fairy" has been moved to the MAP35 slot (I completely forgot about a fucked up fight, and under-estimated it quite badly)

- "birb" has been moved to the MAP25 slot

- "Dip" has been moved to the MAP33 slot

- Due to these reorderings, the following maps are now on different slots to what they were: "The Vessel" (28), "Acrophilia" (29), "Sunscreen" (31), "Dammed Moon" (32) & "The Dollhouse" (36)

- Updated the order of the credits map to reflect these changes

- Added a blocking map in the MAP30 slot so it's less confusing why there's no actual map on that slot (it's for telefragging reasons!)

- Updates to "Weeping Angel", "Azure Assault", "Frozen Eon", "Oztracize", "Electric Castle", "Mainframe Override", "Confluence of Poison", "smol", "The Demise of Oblivion", "Techbase Carnage II", "The Vessel", "Acrophilia", "Sunscreen", "Dip", "The Dollhouse", "Grafaiai and Tinkaton", "The Vortex", "The Umbral Engine" and "Sunset Configuration"

- Added new music/updated the existing music for the text screen and "The Root of All Evil", "Amber Facility", "The House Entrails", "Frozen Eon", "Confluence of Poison", "Geophys", "The Demise of Oblivion", "Acrophilia", "Sunscreen", "The Dollhouse", "The Vortex" & "Sunset Configuration"

Did my boi Norb produce any map(s) for HFII ?

He was the author behind map13 "The Abyss" in the 1st Hardfest. I just can't find his name in the list

Edited by Bengaltiger1

Hey guys, I've just updated the release candidate build due to some errors that were found in Map12 by it's author. No other changes have been made.

LINK: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pPrdbAZoXhFIT8lIeVgK-snNyoCmbSmq/view?usp=sharing

~~~

On 12/3/2023 at 9:49 AM, Bengaltiger1 said:

Did my boi Norb produce any map(s) for HFII ?

He was the author behind map13 "The Abyss" in the 1st Hardfest. I just can't find his name in the list

I know he was working on a map for the project (posted a few screenshots of it in the discord), but he didn't finish it which is a shame.

Edited by finnks13
hotfix to the hotfix

• 2 weeks later...

Cacowards reminded me I had been meaning to GET FUCKED play through this, played through map12, absolute bangers all of these.

Spoiler

This death exit in map12 doesn't trigger if you're up against the north wall of the little sacrificial pit.

doom00.png.e8d171d1bfa8bdd262ef490ee51918d8.png

doom01.png.65d9087f3ee0fcc4d8900cc8f8fc7848.png

It looks like one of the secret sectors in MAP15 isn't accessible. The teleporter to the SW secret with the backpack actually took me back to the first secret that had the plasma gun (they both have tag 24)

Slowly but surely have been inching my way to completing this megawad, I'm up to map32, cacoward well earned by all involved. Special mention for Acrophilia @Ravendesk, movement puzzles/platforming tends to be my least favorite sub genre of hard/slaughter maps, the aesthetic and tone are immaculate tho and I couldn't help but love this map (it also probably helps i'm playing on hmp). You mention the quake explore jam series in the readme which I haven't played, but it did somewhat remind me of the tone/feel of map04 from Ter Shibboleth.

Also a few minor bugs/things

The readme hasn't been updated to reflect moving Fallen Fairy to the map35 position.

Spoiler

and a few very minor visual glitches

Map15

doom00.png.b6d7f14fead228f0dd463897c71e3da9.png

Map16

doom01.png.2caf5153e3f7cebfcbae7ca1cb28f576.png

24 minutes ago, TeK (⌐■_■) said:

Special mention for Acrophilia @Ravendesk, movement puzzles/platforming tends to be my least favorite sub genre of hard/slaughter maps, the aesthetic and tone are immaculate tho and I couldn't help but love this map (it also probably helps i'm playing on hmp). You mention the quake explore jam series in the readme which I haven't played, but it did somewhat remind me of the tone/feel of map04 from Ter Shibboleth.

Thank you! Always happy to convert people from platforming sceptics to platforming maybes. Glad you got to enjoy HMP, a lot of effort was put into balancing lower difficulties for this map.

I'm pretty bad at quake but I'll check that one out xd

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, finnks13 said:

Hardfest 2 is now on idgames!

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/hardfest2

Sorry it took so long, but I think the new music was worth it! The soundtrack video is not quite done yet, but I will post about it when it is.

Hardfest 3 is happening soon. Gimme a week or so to chill ok :P

I wanna get it on HF3 👀  Will there be a CP post?

16 minutes ago, Treehouseminis said:

I wanna get it on HF3 👀  Will there be a CP post?

You are very welcome to! I'll make a post about it when the project properly starts, but I will still run it in the Hardfest discord server (cba to find the link now, but it's public somewhere lol)

Hello! To complete the DoomWiki article, can you please tell me what music tracks are used for MAP99, intermission and text screens? This information is absent from the txt file.

21 minutes ago, Nockson said:

Hello! To complete the DoomWiki article, can you please tell me what music tracks are used for MAP99, intermission and text screens? This information is absent from the txt file.

Sure:

Map99's song is called "Serendipity" by LPad

The Intermission Screen's song is "Hardmission" by LPad

The Text Screen's song is "Zephyrs" by LPad

Also, there are a couple of mistakes in the text file's song names (sorry!):

Map26's song should be "A Strange Thing to Say" by thelokk

Map34's song should be "HMS Erebus" by Ravendesk

Map41's song should be "Rhubarb" by Aphex Twin, sequenced by Scorpius

4 hours ago, Nockson said:

@finnks13, thanks for the info!

Sorry, I've been informed that I am a complete idiot and managed to make a typo when correcting a typo lmao

Map33's song is "HMS Erebus" by Ravendesk, not Map34! Map34's song is as it was written in the text file (SCRAPING.mid by zan-zan-zawa-veia)

4 hours ago, finnks13 said:

Sorry, I've been informed that I am a complete idiot and managed to make a typo when correcting a typo lmao

No problem, I made the corrections! I should have noticed that these two music tracks had almost the same titles.

This wad rules, nice work to all involved and thanks for the idgames upload. Looking forward to following all these mappers in their subsequent endeavors.

Hey, sorry to write it down here, but the DoomWiki states that MAP37's secret #3 is unobtainable, which is not true. The door to the radiation suit in the starting area can be accessed via the Commander Keen trigger, meaning it opens after you kill all arachnorbs. I just tested it in DSDA-Doom cl-9. Thanks.

I just tried to download the final version of Hardfest 2 on idgames and a trojan/virus is detected in the ZIP file. So I'm back to RC2.4 for now.

26 minutes ago, |Raph| said:

I just tried to download the final version of Hardfest 2 on idgames and a trojan/virus is detected in the ZIP file. So I'm back to RC2.4 for now.

I'm sure this must be a false positive, there's nothing other than the wad and the textfile describing it in the zip file (that and I made it :P). For what it's worth, I don't think the wad would've been allowed on idgames if it contained anything shady.

15 minutes ago, |Raph| said:

I'm not sure what to tell you, having compiled the wad I know there's absolutely nothing there and I have had multiple people download it to try to reproduce this to no success. It is definitely a false positive. I've had Windows Defender misidentify this exact virus before with one of the recent versions of Woof, so I think it might just not be very good at detecting this specific one.

If it makes you feel better to use a RC, then that's fine but I promise you that there is no virus in the wad.

Going across multiple months of managing a community project backed by a Cacoward only to then load the idgames release with a RAT is artistry that I would commend Finnks for if he managed to make it happen.

It absolutely didn't happen and lecturing people about whatever your AV is giving doesn't prove anything, but if it did I would be incredibly impressed.