my 300-word reviews (most recent: Way 2 Many Dead Guys by Urthar)

I have written 3000+ words about some individual maps before. I believe it would be very doable for people to write a whole book about most mapsets (and some standalone maps) without straining for substance. But that can be exhausting and I want an outlet for writing about levels that doesn't end up scope-creeping into a burden. So every review I post in this thread will be 300 words long tops. If I backtrack on that you can call me out on that. No ratings, not my style. :P 

TBA: Table of Contents 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, baja blast rd. said:

The texturing and detail, combined with the shaping, gives the set a sleek, futuristic sci-fi character. It evokes a modernized early Doom 2 starbase not so much through greatly increased detail as through amped-up stylization. 

This is a really good point: it's not just using more, it's using what's already there with a whole heap of panache.

1 hour ago, baja blast rd. said:

Fans of easier wads will appreciate how Urthar prefers using lots of Doom 1 popcorn enemies, and how Doom 2 enemies like revenants are treated with reverence, as if a group of three can be a mini-boss encounter. 

Being one of those fans, I'm consistently impressed with how this set keeps pressure on you not just through numbers or higher-tier enemies, but angles: it's constantly tasking you to blow a hole through a squad and move between relative safe points, but there's always a window or a slit in a wall where some shotgun puke can get a bead on you from your "cover".

I probably never would have seen this mapset without this review, and if I had, the "beta" tag likely would've put me off.

Community service, this, rd!

<3 

Angles is a very good way to put it!

As visually appealing as the designs are, the layouts are clearly thoughtful in how they allow enemies to behave. There are setups where like an enemy closet will be released in another room as part of a trap, and the monsters will fluidly path over into the room you are, rather than pooling up somewhere or being caught in geometry. Hints at designs being remade for that reason too. 

It's one of those reminders that very well thought-out gameplay is not just about setpieces and difficulty (and I say that as someone who has no problems playing wads like Abandon and the Stardates), and that easier-leaning gameplay can still be very well thought-out instead of being purely about satisfaction or player empowerment.

I'm going to try to do more of these reviews. It's one of my favorite formats. The first three (Mutabor, Sunlust, and JPCP) were wads I had really wanted to write something about for a while, but my plan is to pick slightly more obscure wads from this point on.