Massive Doom Project

I havent started this yet, But I am going to be working on a a "Giga-wad" That works with a modified Wadsmoosh, that essentially combines the entire doom story into one Giga-wad.

It will contain all Doom 1 levels, and doom 2 levels (including the PSX levels which would be integrated into the campaign)
It will include doom 64 levels remade in the doom 2/1 style,
and the Lost episode levels from doom 64

It will include TNT and Plutonia, 

As well as SIGIL, SIGIL 2, and Hellion when it is released. 

It will have the maps of doom 2016 and Doom eternal recreated in the classic doom style to the best of my, and any contributors abilities

And it will include content from Doom RPG, doom 2 RPG, Doom 3, Doom 64, etc. All in the classic doom style.

I am aware that this is a massive project and likely wont be done for a long time, but if anyone wishes to work on this project with me, they can. It isn't going to be Officially started until Hellion is released, However progress on recreating some of the maps from doom 2016 and eternal will be started soon

Some things to note, Doom 3 will not be included in this as part of the main campaign, It will be an add-on / Free DLC / Bonus Campaign that is separate from the story.

Due to legal reasons, The project wont use the original levels from Doom 1, 2, or 64, but rather recreations of them, with more detail and new content.

Doom 2 stuff and doom 64 stuff will be implemented into the doom 1 levels and doom 2 levels

The Unmaker/Unmaykr will be implemented in this

Many doom 3, eternal, and 2016 weapons will be included, as well as enemies from across the entire franchise (1, 2, 3, 64, Eternal, 2016, RPG, RPG 2) 

And again, all of them wont be using directly ripped assets. they will be recreated from scratch.

This project might take years to complete, even if I gather a team to help with it.

The goal of this project is to make one cohesive, story focused, doom wad, that combines the entire story as we know from the doom series, into one game.

There will be cutscenes, intermission screens, etc.

Episodes will be split up like this

in the menu selection you will first Select the game

So, In this example, I would select Doom 1

Afterwards, you select the campaign, In this case, evil Unleashed, which would be the first 3 episodes of doom 1,

Then lastly, you can choose an episode (Episodes will be locked until you beat them, so you have to start from the first episode of the campaign), so in this case, it would be 

Doom 1 ----> Evil Unleashed ----> Knee-Deep In The Dead ----> E1M1

New difficulties will be added, and new mechanics will be added. 

Including Ultra-Nightmare, which will disable saves,
And a limited lives mode, just like doom eternal.

If anyone has any suggestions for this they are free to leave them down below, if you wish to help work on this project you may contact me here :)

There will also be a level select option menu, similar to PSX doom, where after beating a level, you obtain a password to unlock it, to instantly go to said level.

Of course, the entire game is going to be as close to the vanilla-gameplay loop as possible, but due to the style of the games being different in eternal and 2016, the 2016 and eternal levels might need some significant tweaking and changing for them to fit the classic style.

a WIP of some information for this project can be found here https://pastebin.com/U9UEEMZW

Campaign/Part names are not finalized,

And many of these might be cut from the final release for one reason or another. I am still discussing this with some people on what should and should not be included.

I also need to consider what legally can be recreated in the classic style, and what cannot.

23 minutes ago, Sneezy McGlassFace said:

Quick question: Have you ever made anything?

What Sneezy said ^

If you don't have much experience with modding or making levels, it might be a good idea to scale down and start off small (mess around and get used to the tools, experiment, and maybe try putting together a level or two). This helps to combat burnout and makes your work more manageable. What you've outlined here is a tremendous amount of work (to the point of absurdity); a single 32 level megawad is itself a massive project.

Having said that, I wish you the best on your doom modding endeavors!

Edited by phoo

PhoenixCyanFire, before you announce your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Edited by Pure Hellspawn

Looking forward to this not ever being released.

I appreciate the ambition of this project, as well as every project that has recreated a sequel in the original game (or source port).

Even projects that have recreated more modern source ports in the DOS version.

At the intial idea of a project it can be hard to determine it's limitations or more relevantly 'scope'.

The only real 'limitation' is your determination and ability.

If your ambition is to do something completely 'new' or 'revolutionary' starting with 'ALMOST EVERYTHING' may not be way to accomplish that.

I wish you the best on this, and with all that said - If DOOM3 isn't in the primary release, I'm out.

So, it will be Freedoom, but several times larger in scope of maps and assets needed?  Noting that after two decades Freedoom has not yet gotten a first release (someone else here can probably expound on the Freedoom story better than I can).  

If the comments here feel kind of dismissive, it's not because nobody wants you to make this, but Big Ideas threads like these from users with no apparent experience or portfolio (do correct me if I'm wrong about this) come along at least a few times a year and almost without exception amount to nothing.  If you really, really want to see this through, then go nuts, and please share your progress as you go so we can see it coming together; but I encourage you to approach something a little more modest as a start, especially if you really have no prior experience with mapping, texture design, or spriting (or project management).  Again, you are proposing literally hundreds of maps and effectively a total conversion with nothing concrete to show.

Im aware that I might probably get burnout on this. Thats why im looking for people to work on this with me.

Also it wont be "freedoom but with every game" Because its not an IWAD

It requires you to use Wadsmoosh as the IWAD to play, and it expects you to have all the resources. (as in a fully complete wadsmoosh, with everything that wadsmoosh accepts)

And then you would load it as a PWAD after Wadsmoosh.

It integrates into the wadsmoosh Pk3 IWAD

And yes, I have made maps, and mods before. Though on a infinitely smaller scale.

I just think it would be nice to work on a big project for the community, and if it never gets done, oh well that will suck. But I can at least try. 

I've already experimented a bit with making addons for Wadsmoosh, so I know that my idea is within the realm of possibility. 

4 minutes ago, PhoenixCyanFire said:

And yes, I have made maps, and mods before. Though on a infinitely smaller scale.

And... Have you released anything?

I'm just extremely skeptical - you have a post count of 11, and from what I can see after a cursory glance at your profile / posts - no released files...

Can you provide any of your own work, so others can at least see if this will be worth their time?

Start small!

Everyone seems to want to climb Everest without first climbing an anthill...

57 minutes ago, DeetOpianSky said:

I appreciate the ambition of this project, as well as every project that has recreated a sequel in the original game (or source port).

Even projects that have recreated more modern source ports in the DOS version.

At the intial idea of a project it can be hard to determine it's limitations or more relevantly 'scope'.

The only real 'limitation' is your determination and ability.

If your ambition is to do something completely 'new' or 'revolutionary' starting with 'ALMOST EVERYTHING' may not be way to accomplish that.

I wish you the best on this, and with all that said - If DOOM3 isn't in the primary release, I'm out.

Dont get me wrong, Doom 3 is canon (people can debate the canonicity of it all they want, Its canon)

but im 90% certain it takes place in an alternate universe/timeline.

Doom 2016 and Eternal also take place in an atlernate timeline, but thats different. Because doomguy from the main timeline, was SENT to the alternate timeline by the resurrector to kickstart 2016 and eternal.

I have no idea how I would fit doom 3 into the story unless its a bonus campaign, or a spinoff, because it has a different doom marine, its in a different timeline/universe, and even though it is canon, it doesnt effect the story of the doomslayer at all.

Its for reasons like this that I have opted to not include some other retail content, 

Hell, im still debating even including master levels in this, because a lot of those dont even star the doomguy as the protagonist.

TNT and Plutonia are included because doom guy is still the protagonist in them, and even if they arent canon, they add more to the story.

There are some other stuff that is being concidered, but not gaurenteed.

Like doom Zero, since it expands onto the story (but isnt canon)

Also its not as large as a project as it sounds at first glance, because a lot of these levels wont need to be recreated from scratch. 

Doom64 For doom 2 exists, and remakes and remixes of doom 1 and 2 are abundant. Obviously im not stealing them. But that takes a huge part of the map making process, and shortens it. as ideas and inspiration dont need to be thought of as much as the eternal or 2016 maps, because references are already there. The maps exist, and just need to be recreated and tweaked. 

Normally the maps would take a longer time because you'd have to plan out the entire layout. We already have ideas in our head of what the standard levels should look like.

The only Major obstacle at the moment, is implementing all the custom content that doesnt have sprites, (as they have to fit the classic style for me to aprove of them. IE no direct rips of models to sprites from 64, 2016, eternal, etc. They'd have to be recreated in the classic style, with classic resolution sprites. nothing super detailed or out of place)

And, recreating the 2016 and eternal levels.

Which would be difficult due to the 3D Dimensionality of them, and how traversal works in eternal and 2016. But Im sure I can find workarounds

1 minute ago, Arrowhead said:

And... Have you released anything?

I'm just extremely skeptical - you have a post count of 11, and from what I can see after a cursory glance at your profile / posts - no released files...

Can you provide any of your own work, so others can at least see if this will be worth their time?

Start small!

Everyone seems to want to climb Everest without first climbing an anthill...

I've made mods before, and made maps before. Just never released any to the public. I dont talk on fourms like this a lot because I have very bad social skills and I dont want to say something stupid or embarrass myself. 

I've actually recently made a Unmaykr mod that combines the Unmaykr from eternal and the Unmaker from 64 into one big badass weapon, using sprites made by Zrrion The Insect. (with his permission!)

And I have worked on a smaller Wadsmoosh project in the past that added the PSX levels to Wadsmoosh, as well as Doom 64 for doom 2, Freedoom, Lexicon, Compendium, Plutonia 2, Plutonia Revisisted Community Project, TNT Revilution, The Lost Episodes, Perditions Gate, and some other stuff. 

Though I didnt work on that alone.

it also added a lot of new items and stuff to the game.

I also made a mod that implements a triple barrel shotgun, and made a semi-functional Quad and hexa-shotgun for fun.

Im pretty good with Decorate, but I am only recently learning Zscript. And I have been mapping for about half a year now, mostly in UDMF format.

I have recreated E1M1 from memory, and implemented new areas inspired from both Doom+ and Maps Of Chaos, as well as other E1M1 Remake levels.

But yeah. Im still pretty new to this stuff relatively speaking.

So this isnt a current priority of mine. Just something I plan to do in the future when I get more experience and people to work on it with me

As for spriting.

..... >.> I am pretty bad at that. Usually I just commission friends to make sprites for me for my projects. 

Just now, The Almighty Egg said:

Great copypasta this post is.

Not a copypasta. 

I typed this all myself lol.

I know it seems like a troll post, and maybe I am reaching too high for a goal I might never achieve. But I am a huge fan of the doom franchise and its story, and I just kinda want to do something with my life. This community has inspired me a lot with all its wonderful creative works, and I always loved the story of the Doomguy, and kinda just wished people could experience the story in one long storyline, rather than split into multiple games. Hence why I wanted to consider this project

1 minute ago, PhoenixCyanFire said:

I've made mods before, and made maps before. Just never released any to the public....

And I have worked on a smaller Wadsmoosh project in the past that added the PSX levels to Wadsmoosh, as well as Doom 64 for doom 2, Freedoom, Lexicon, Compendium, Plutonia 2, Plutonia Revisisted Community Project, TNT Revilution, The Lost Episodes, Perditions Gate, and some other stuff....

I have recreated E1M1 from memory, and implemented new areas inspired from both Doom+ and Maps Of Chaos, as well as other E1M1 Remake levels.......

But yeah. Im still pretty new to this stuff relatively speaking......

So this isnt a current priority of mine. Just something I plan to do in the future when I get more experience and people to work on it with me......

Great, so you should post your work so that others can see it, and see if signing on for HOURS and HOURS to work on this, is worth their time or not.

Also, not to be rude - but assembling WADs is highly different thing from making WADs - the fact that you won't link or provide anything to show-off what you are capable of doing does not bode well for this project's future.

It's fine to be inexperienced, hell, we were all inexperienced at some point in time - but at least be aware of your current limitations.

If you've remade D1 E1 from memory, post it! People need to have something they can see from you - if you want people to sign on and give you their hard earned free time - especially, as I assume you'll be the project lead on this.

And now you're saying that this is something you plan on doing in the future? Okay, when? That statement alone should make people nervous of 'signing on'.

Just try not to bite off more than you can chew - that's what everyone in this thread has been saying. If you need help for editing related questions, and all that, we're all here to help - just know your current limitations!

Once, again! Start small!

ok. im kind of nervous of posting my stuff because im worried it will be judged due to how new I am to all this, but ill keep that in mind. 

I might not even do this because so many people seem to think i cant. Its something i want to do but maybe its just not possible for me. Obviously i cant do it at this time, but i was thinking that if I ever develop the skills for it its something I would want to do

A mod should probably lock this thread. If it still existed, it would be a perfect candidate for Post Hell. 

2 minutes ago, PhoenixCyanFire said:

Obviously i cant do it at this time, but i was thinking that if I ever develop the skills for it its something I would want to do

I feel like this says everything about this thread.

Just now, PhoenixCyanFire said:

ok. im kind of nervous of posting my stuff because im worried it will be judged due to how new I am to all this, but ill keep that in mind. 

I might not even do this because so many people seem to think i cant. Its something i want to do but maybe its just not possible for me. Obviously i cant do it at this time, but i was thinking that if I ever develop the skills for it its something I would want to do

What I'm trying to drive home, is that if you're this new, why are you doing this now?

We all seem to be skeptical, because you have not provided any evidence of your map making abilities whatsoever. We're not here to 'tear you apart critcally' or anything, but really if you're trying to sell this idea, you need to show-off what you're capable of.

That's just a fact - you should be eager to show-off what you've already done / worked on, as that will likely be the impetus for many to join you. Why would people join under a project leader who has next to no experience?

We're not shitting on you, we're trying to help you. I assure you that - we're just so used to seeing these 'BIG IDEAS' posts, w/ nothing to show alongside them.

4 minutes ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

A mod should probably lock this thread. If it still existed, it would be a perfect candidate for Post Hell. 

I feel like this says everything about this thread.

I dont want to go in post hell though just because I have high ambitions :(

That makes me look CRINGE

I just have stupidly ambitious goals

24 minutes ago, PhoenixCyanFire said:

I dont talk on fourms like this a lot because I have very bad social skills

That's not a good quality for a project lead to have.

Edited by OniriA

3 minutes ago, Snaxalotl said:

What if we make a wad that has none of the doom levels and is empty.

STFGOD0.thumb.png.a4a3dba33b5a3776ce9422: You mean to say, I'll have to do all the rest!?

Edited by OniriA