PUSS XXIV: Lover’s Quarrel

2 hours ago, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

@Jaska Will you be my Valentine? 😊

Sure! I've never done anything in such short timelimit but let's see!

Map Name: [ Canyon of Love ]
Author: [ LGmaire ]
Music: [ "Blossom Haze" from Sonic Mania ]
Sky preference: [ Blue. ]
Format: [ Limit-Removing. ]
Difficulty Settings: [ Yes. ]
Build Time: [ 1 hour and 49 minutes. ]
Valentine: [I found this "LGmaire" guy on doomworld and thought he'd be a good valentine, so big thanks to him.]
Comments: Very fun map to work on. Originally I just wanted to make a sort of pink temple but ended up making this. I'm very happy with it.
Screenshots and Download:

doom13.png.5c6a62ac4ed07458a44a876fbfba2d95.pngdoom12.png.f2ecffd501998ecdf3eecc82ac913d9b.png

LGLover_02_v2.zip

Edited by LGmaire
Map has been updated.

Map Name: [  Seashell Castle ]
Music: [ "Max Don't Have Sex With Your Ex" By E-rotic. (Taken from UDMX MAP15 if you're wondering.) ]
Sky preference: [ Sunset. ]
Build Time: [ 1 Hour and 20 minutes. (Not including the CO-OP/SP version, that took me another hour.) ]
Valentine: [Myself. :)]
Comments: Very proud of this one! I have done deathmatch maps before, I even have an unreleased set of almost 11 DM maps, but the only public DM maps I've done are for the Vesper DM Community Project. So I'm glad to participate in another Deathmatch CP.

doom03.png.02ba7d67b894c8dcd2f0c140eff6e190.png

LGLover01_v1.zip

Map Name: Join Me In Death
Author: myolden
Music: Going to default to whichever resource midi is in the map slot this ends up in.
Sky preference: No preference.
Format: Doom 2
Difficulty Settings: Not Yet.
Build Time: 2 Hours.

Valentine: n/a
Comments: Just a quick map to get into the groove. Singleplayer map is included.

Screenshots: 

Spoiler

doom55.png

doom56.png

doom57.png

Map name: Love Refinery

Authors: Worriedidiot & Norb

Music: "Sanctuary" by AD_79

Sky preference: Blue

Format: Limit-removing

Difficulty settings: Yes

Build time: ~3,5 hours (not including singleplayer/coop balancing)

Valentine: @Norb

Comments: Hopefully we understood the assignment. Not much to say. A janky lil' map set in a big marble love fortress (?). Went a bit slaughter-y with the singleplayer bit but I hope that's not an issue. 

doom348.png.34e9c3ca1b44370f18fe38f6eadfad75.pngdoom346.png.055c184b53bc1440cb6f46ae79711cb3.png

Love.zip

Sure, I wouldn't mind lending a hand on this one. I may have only made two deathmatch arenas that were stapled onto otherwise single-player maps before, which--as far as I'm aware--no one has ever played on, but I won't let minor details like that stop me from acting like I have any idea what I'm doing.

(Also, small point, but wasn't the last event numbered 22? What happened to PUSS XXIII?)

1 minute ago, Blexor said:

Sure, I wouldn't mind lending a hand on this one. I may have only made two deathmatch arenas that were stapled onto otherwise single-player maps before, which--as far as I'm aware--no one has ever played on, but I won't let minor details like that stop me from acting like I have any idea what I'm doing.

(Also, small point, but wasn't the last event numbered 22? What happened to PUSS XXIII?)

PUSS XXIII was this event here, which only ran for a couple of days:

16 hours ago, myolden said:

PUSS XXIII was this event here, which only ran for a couple of days:

Ah, well that explains it. Carry on.

Quick question, though: Is is alright to use any of the base Doom II textures in our maps? I couldn't help but notice that the resource pack has waterfall textures but no water flats (outside of the purple and pink ones).

1 hour ago, Blexor said:

Quick question, though: Is is alright to use any of the base Doom II textures in our maps? I couldn't help but notice that the resource pack has waterfall textures but no water flats (outside of the purple and pink ones).

Vanilla textures are always ok to use. The only rule with them really is to make sure they’re aesthetically applicable, which is always really just a taste based thing. If you can make startan work then go for it. 

Like for puss 22 for example since we were making hell cavern maps there was a soft ‘don’t use startan etc.’ rule, but shit like fireblu, SFLR_6, or any of the marble textures were fine

1 hour ago, Blexor said:

A quick note: due to palette changes some of the vanilla resources may be a little miscolored. If you find any that have issues let me know and I can fix them and upload an updated resource.

2 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

Vanilla textures are always ok to use. The only rule with them really is to make sure they’re aesthetically applicable, which is always really just a taste based thing. If you can make startan work then go for it. 

Like for puss 22 for example since we were making hell cavern maps there was a soft ‘don’t use startan etc.’ rule, but shit like fireblu, SFLR_6, or any of the marble textures were fine

Okay, I follow. In the meantime I've been using the purple water texture for my map, and the results are surprisingly aesthetic:

LQ_Vaporwave.jpg.9f58400aa05f1e674fdea1e79c07991e.jpg

Just need some palm tree decos and we'll be in business.

8 hours ago, Blexor said:

Just need some palm tree decos and we'll be in business.

Perhaps I'll make some nice palm trees for a 'Lovers on the Beach' project in 2024 or 2025. We'll see ;)

This looks like a really neat and unique DM project, best of luck! If I see a single symmetrical arena I will be immensely disappointed.

On 1/5/2023 at 1:02 PM, Decay said:

This looks like a really neat and unique DM project, best of luck!

Thank you! I'm really glad to hear that from you, I love your Deathmatch stuff!

If I see a single symmetrical arena I will be immensely disappointed.

Lmao.

Anyways, here's another submission:

Map Name: [ PUSSC (Pineapple Under my Sweet Sodden Crush) ]
Music: [ I used the resource pack's MAP28 midi. I don't know who made it or the name of the original song... ]
Sky preference: [ None. ]
Build Time: [ Exactly 2 hours. ]
Comments: Originally called "Underwater Erotica", I thought the name was good but I wanted something better, also yes this is a map set in an underwater cave.
Screenshots and download:

doom29.png.4f1c20e8e0561843341d5fca98d5045c.png

LGlover03_v1.zip

Edited by LGmaire

download

Updated to v2 with single player

Map name: Daisy Island

Author: Muumi

Music: City in the Sky by Muddy

Sky preference: Blue

Format: Limit-removing

Difficulty settings: no

Build time: ~5.5 hours for dm arena

Y5OqkiU.pngUmoTVtL.png

Edited by muumi
updated to v2

Map Name: From Pecca With Love

Author: Peccatum Mihzamiz

Music: From Russia With Love by Lionel Bart

Sky preference: None

Format: Limit-Removing

Difficulty Settings: Yes, including co-op.

Build Time: Less than 4 hours to get the architecture down, but quite a bit more decorating and adding single player. Adding single player took much longer than I thought it would.

Comments: My first Deathmatch map ever. I usually make bigger maps so it was a challenge for me to make something smaller and interconnected. Happy with it.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230107_192125.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230107_192231.png

File version 3, download
Changelog v2:
-added one extra monster to the end of the map on HMP
Changelog v3:
-Change the title and added a new musical track

Edited by Peccatum Mihzamiz
version 2 and 3

Map Name: Like a Knife Cutting Through Water

Author: Peccatum Mihzamiz & his partner

Music: "Bohemian Like You" by The Dandy Warhols

Sky preference: blue probably

Format: Limit-Removing

Difficulty Settings: Yes, including lots of co-op stuff.

Build Time: 5 Minutes sketching, about 5 hours for the architecture, then an insane amount of time sprucing up the place, and then a day making the single player stuff.
Known issuus: This map makes extensive use of extra textures that will be added to the next version of the texture pack. So don't play it until we release version 8 of the resource pack!

Comments: Like a Knife Cutting Through Water, from the Korean 칼로 물 베기 (kallo mul begi). It refers to an unbreakable relationship. It's not possible to cut and separate a liquid like water with a knife. So when you see a couple going through a rough patch but you are certain that they will mend their relationship, you can use this idiom.

I sketched out the map with my partner (the first time she ever made a thing for Doom) and then I went to work. It was amazingly tricky to make an open river valley that still has lines of sight that work in Deathmatch. I hope I succeeded. I limited the use of the chaingun and shotgun to negate the sniping shenanigans that would ensue otherwise.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

peccascreen8.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230110_144717.png

doom90.png

File download

Dear people, you can find version 8 of the resources here, including the nine already submitted maps. Any testing would be most welcome! Complevel 2 / Doom (strict).

I had a short look myself at all of the maps and actually got a bit emotional. It's beautiful folks, amazing! <)

Map list:
MAP01 - “Seashell Castle” - @LGmaire

MAP02 - “Canyon of Love” - @LGmaire

MAP03 - "Join Me In Death" - @myolden
MAP04 - "Love Refinery" - @Worriedidiot and @Norb

MAP05 - "Daisy Island" - @muumi
MAP06 - "Cupid's Crucible" - @Captain Toenail

MAP07 - "PUSSC (Pineapple Under my Sweet Sodden Crush)" - @LGmaire

MAP08 - "From Pecca With Love" - @Peccatum Mihzamiz

MAP09 - "Like a Knife Cutting Through Water" - @Peccatum Mihzamiz and partner

Edited by Peccatum Mihzamiz

On 1/2/2023 at 7:24 PM, LGmaire said:

Map Name: [ Canyon of Love ]
Music: [ "Blossom Haze" from Sonic Mania ]
Sky preference: [ Blue. ]
Build Time: [ 1 hour and 49 minutes. ]
Valentine: [I found this "LGmaire" guy on doomworld and thought he'd be a good valentine, so big thanks to him.]
Comments: Very fun map to work on. Originally I just wanted to make a sort of pink temple but ended up making this. I'm very happy with it.

doom13.png.5c6a62ac4ed07458a44a876fbfba2d95.pngdoom12.png.f2ecffd501998ecdf3eecc82ac913d9b.png

LGLover_02_v2.zip

The map has been updated now.

Here are the changes for v2:

Singleplayer/Co-Op updates:

-Added more Rocket ammo

-Added Co-Op monsters

-Moved starting positions to be looking at the Rocket Launcher

-Made the sector for the soulsphere a secret

-Raised the teleporter to the Soulsphere so it's more noticeable

DM updates:

-Added small details to the BFG switch cave ceiling

-Added some ammo

-Added stairs that lead to the BFG switch cave

-Added a lift that leads to the soulsphere path

-Moved the BFG to be closer to the switch

-Raised the teleporters to make them more noticeable 

We now have an intermittent Deathmatch server up and running with the latest compilation of maps. Look for [TSPG] PUSS: Lover's Quarrel.

Version 9 of the resources. An updated resource pack with new extra switches, some of them custom made by @muumi! Also a few other small texture and sprite changes and additions.

The first 10 maps thus far submitted to the project are also in this resource pack, plus updated version of all of them (though the music in MAP06 will change). @Napsalm tested the first 9 maps yesterday (thank you!) and a VOD of that stream can be watched here.

Know issues: at least one of the switches doesn't animate. This will be fixed.
Because I have included 10 maps in this resource pack, the first 10 MIDIs are all specifically assigned to those maps and should not be considered as part of the future Valentine's Day MIDI pack. If you're missing a few songs I recommend you have a look at version 7 of the resources, that still has all of them.