Posted (edited)

March, 2024

icar201506a.png

pic is from Onemandoom

> The yearly standings

> The Ironman Discord Server

Standard Leaderboard

1. [2] SURVIVED (2:03:36): joe-ilya - 
  2. [3] SURVIVED (2:21:10): NaZa - Could almost hear the train horn while inspecting the Bush. Almost.
  3. [1] SURVIVED (3:04:54): Vytaan - 
  4. [1] SURVIVED (3:11:53): Vince Vega - The tip-toeing  tango seems to have worked as Vince scores 2/2 so far this year.
  5. [1] SURVIVED (3:23:39): Beginner - *The Bush winks back.*
  6. [1] MAP10: dt_ - 
  7. [1] MAP09: Suitepee - 
  8. [1] MAP09: Andromeda - Was so focused on the cyberdemon, even the arachnotrons (and the funky music!) couldn't break the focus.
  9. [1] MAP08: Bertt91 - 
  10. [1] MAP07: LadyMistDragon - Bangs head on SUPPORT2. The red key would've been the real SUPPORT, TOO. Unlucky. (DNF)
  11. [1] MAP06: SCF - In Croatia we have a saying that goes "Who dares to fly high, falls low." I think that could be applied here.
  12. [1] MAP05: RedBoule - Maybe he didn't deliver the killing blow, but hot damn, that central hell knight was a sniper. Even after dying.
  13. [1] MAP05: signaturereverie - 
  14. [1] MAP05: Li'l devil - Don't Turn Your Back to the Revenant. (-cl 9)
  15. [1] MAP04: Asbadagba - Those revenants ought to be christened.
  16. [1] MAP04: ClumsyCryptid - Finds a grate on the other end of the tube. Doesn't find the deadly punch so grate.
  17. [1] MAP04: Hebonky - Went to slay thugs, stayed for the hugs.
  18. [1] MAP04: Darth_wiader
  19. [1] MAP03: Horus - Mistakes fire for a solid barrier.
  20. [1] MAP01: Austinado - "It literally says I cannot go there, right?"
  21. [1] MAP01: MxCraven - 

Prepared Leaderboard

1. ...

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthly competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag at the bottom of the post for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In March 2024 the DWIronman League dies to ICAR2015 (-complevel 2), an 11-map episode made by Eternal. According to DoomWiki, it is a set whose maps "reprise the themes and designs from the first set of Icarus: Alien Vanguard [...]" ... and, as such, many of you who've played Icarus might feel a slight deja vu. Unless you're yours truly, who never played Icarus. It is, also, not the only set Eternal themed around a TeamTNT set, though; some veterans of the league might recall 2018, when TNT: Renascence was played. One of the sets with a higher survival rate that year, as well. Either way, good luck, marine!

Essential Info

• Doom II (doom2.wad) + Icarus: Alien Vanguard loaded (ICARUS.WAD). ICARUS HAS TO BE LOADED BEFORE ICAR2015, otherwise you'll be playing Icarus. The best way to check which 11 maps loaded is to type LISTMAPS in the console if you're using ZDoom, or remember how the first room of ICAR2015 looks (you're on an elevator, and there are no flashing lights on it) before comitting to a run if using other source ports. In any case, the command line noted below is correct.
  • Compatibility level 2, or "Doom (strict)" for ZDoom derivative ports.
  • 11 maps
  • Time estimate (if survival): 2 - 4 hours

> Download ICAR2015

> Download Icarus: Alien Vanguard (NECESSARY TO LOAD ICAR2015)

prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file ICARUS.WAD ICAR2015.wad -complevel 2 -skill 4 -record demo_name.lmp -warp

Rules:

Spoiler

• There are two competitions: Standard and Prepared:

• To compete successfully in the Standard competition: your first play of the selected WAD(s) constitutes your one and only attempt for the month.

• To compete successfully in the Prepared competition: your one and only attempt for the month is determined BY YOU immediately before play and may follow any prior number of active (playing the set) preparation that is strictly for practice/inspection purposes only. You cannot compete in the Standard competition after submitting a run to the Prepared competition. You may submit the first of your practice attempts to the Standard competition.

• UV only (excepting 1CC format), continuous recording. No pistol-starting each level.
  • Demos (recorded using any port which can play back vanilla demo files, such as PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity, DSDADoom, Woof, Chocolate...), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
    • If you stream your run on Twitch, please highlight/save it so that it doesn't go missing in case someone's very late with the obituaries.
  • No additional WADs may be loaded. Cosmetic WADs are fine if they're purely cosmetic.
  • No inspection of the WAD(s)'s content in an editor if you are submitting a Standard run, its category 3 included.
  • No cheat codes and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.
  • If you choose to stream/record your run for video rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on the first map of a set OR because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels than their competitors will rank higher than them.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.
  • If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.
  • Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will stop your run immediately. You will still be registered as entering the next map (i.e. the one which you never entered) using a calculation to figure out what the intermission time would have been.
  • If you are competing in the Standard competition, you are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I cannot remember any details that would offer a reasonable advantage over truly blind players. *
  2. This is not a blind run. I have familiarity with the set - played the level/set before, or watched it being played, and can remember some details that would offer a reasonable advantage over blind players.
  3. This is not a blind run. While I have not outright played it, I've watched the level/set being played via stream, demo or video after it was announced as this month's challenge.

* "Reasonable" in this instance asks you to consider whether the details in question are worth committing to memory. As in, you would thank the person who gave you this information with a straight face and not expect to be laughed at for being an utter berk.

Previous threads:

Hide contents

Spoiler

07 - Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)

08 - Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)

09 - Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)

10 - Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: WH-Wilou84)

11 - Perdition's Gate (winner: WH-Wilou84)

12 - UAC Ultra (winner: PjSpartacus)

Spoiler

01 - Jade Earth (winner: Demon of the Well)

02 - Legacy of Heroes (winner: Roofi)

03 - Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)

04 - Mapgame (winner: ClonedPickle)

05 - Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)

06 - Disturbia (winner: Ancalagon)

07 - Insertion (winner: Veinen)

08 - Unholy Realms (winner: Demon of the Well)

09 - Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)

10 - Endgame & Endpoint (winner: Veinen)

11 - Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)

12 - Doom the Way id Did (winner: kmc)

Spoiler

01 - Combat Shock 2 (winner: Killer5)

02 - Coffee Break E1 (winner: Eris)

03 - Warlock's Hearth (winner: Demon of the Well)

04 - 50 Monsters (winner: WH-Wilou84)

05 - Double Impact (winner: RjY)

06 - Rush (winner: WH-Wilou84)

07 - The Darkening E1 & E2 (winner: Veinen)

08 - The Plutonia Experiment (winner: Zero-Master)

09 - Community Chest 4 - MAP20: Interstellar Sickness and MAP21: Shaman's Device (winner: leodoom85)

10 - Doom 64 for Doom II (winner: Roofi)

11 - TNT: Renascence & TNT: Resistance (winner: an_mutt)

12 - Ultimate Doom the Way id Did (winner: an_mutt)

Spoiler

01 - Hellfire: Dreams (winner: Beginner)

02 - THT: Threnody - MAP10: Fomalhaut (winner: Scotty)

03 - Stardate 20X6 (winner: WH-Wilou84)

04 - Base Ganymede: Complete (winner: Vince Vega)

05 - The DWIronman League died waiting for SIGIL (winner: John Romero)

06 - SIGIL (winner: leodoom85)

07 - Vanguard & Lunatic (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

08 - 2017 Collection (winner: an_mutt - prep winner: Vince Vega)

09 - Revolution! (winner: NaZa - prep winner: Pegleg)

10 - Monster Hunter Part I & Part II (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

11 - Abcess (winner: Demon of the Well - prep winner: Steve D?)

12 - Scythe (winner: Spectre01 - prep winner: Arbys550)

Spoiler

01 - Hellscape (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Archi)

02 - No Sleep for the Dead (winner: Ancalagon - prep winner: Anima Zero)

03 - Baker's Dozen (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

04 - Occult Secrets of the Third Reich & Biotech is Godzilla (winner: joe-ilya - prep winner: Horus)

05 - Bloody Rust (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: dt_)

06 - Vrack 1, 2 and 3 (winner: ReaperAA - prep winner: Bashe)

07 - Running Late 2 (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Pegleg)

08 - Epic (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Daerik)

09 - Hell Revealed (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)

10 - Dark Resolution 2008 (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Austinado)

11 - 2002: A Doom Odyssey: 10th Anniversary Edition Episode 3 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

12 - Eviternity (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Pegleg)

Spoiler

01 - Sawdust (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Daerik)

02 - Alien Vendetta (winner: Demonologist - prep winner: Anima Zero)

03 - Criticality & Miasma (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)

04 - World Orifice (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Killer5)

05 - Violence (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: ScrappyMcDoogerton)

06 - Firebox (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: 4shockblast)

07 - Scythe 2 (winner: Arbys550 - prep winner: an_mutt)

08 - Resurgence (winner: Beginner - prep winner: Suitepee)

09 - The Eye (winner: galileo31dos01 - prep winner: an_mutt)

10 - Glaive & Glaive 2 (winner: Veinen - prep winner: Tezur0)

11 - Sunlust (winner: Daerik - prep winner: nobody)

12 - H2H-XMas (winner: Daerik - prep winner: 4shockblast)

Spoiler

01 - Realm of Shades (winner: mhrz - prep winner: Pegleg)

02 - Return to Hadron E1 (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: Maribo)

03 - Syringe (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: SCF)

04 - Jägermörder 1 and 2 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Maribo)

05 - The Rebirth (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: NaZa)

06 - Man on the Moon (winner: Master Medi - prep winner: ginc)

07 - Vigor (winner: akolai - prep winner: SCF)

08 - Somewhere in Time (winner: Archi - prep winner: NaZa)

09 - Sucker Punch 1 & 2 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

10 - Sharp Things (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: LadyMistDragon)
11 - Knee-Deep in the Dead + .deh (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: Lol 6)

12 - Christmas Cheer from the Chill Zone (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: NaZa)

Spoiler

01 - Bury My Heart Knee Deep (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Maribo)

02 - LAZAREVENANT - 13 map WIP demo (winner: Suitepee - prep winner: nobody)

03 - Demonic Deviation (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: nobody)

04 - Beyond Revival (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Anima Zero)

05 - Malevolence (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Anima Zero)

06 - Return to Purgatory (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Anima Zero)

07 - Shotgun Symphony (winner: joe-ilya - prep winner: LadyMistDragon)

08 - Mutiny (winner: Asbadagba - prep winner: nobody)

09 - Containment Area (winner: LadyMistDragon - prep winner: nobody)

10 - U N W E L C O M E (winner: Master Medi - prep winner: nobody)

11 - Absolute Dishonor (winner: NaZa - prep winner: nobody)

12 - Rowdy Rudy's Revenge (winner: Asbadagba - prep winner: Pegleg)

Spoiler

01 - Black Rain, Community Chest 3 MAP12 (winner: Asbadagba - prep winner: Anima Zero)

02 - 25 Years of Doom II (winner: joe-ilya - prep winner: Pegleg)

Edited by NaZa
obituaries will come later today, i think; till then, this will do

Cat:1

Death: Map04 5:34

Kills: 39/117

That's such horseshit honestly, I'm so mad. There is no way to even survive that without prior knowledge.

Video is uploaded when it's uploaded I guess

Posted (edited)

I played Icarus before a lot, but never heard of this one.

Category 1. Died on map 5. I didn't bother recording how many kills and time I spent, but I can if you want me to. The playtime was over 50 minutes for sure.

DSDA-Doom 0.27.5. Complevel -9 (because originally it was written -complevel 9 in the thread).

Honestly? I played this one with very little enthusiasm. In part because I'm in the process of beating another wad I find much more interesting, but in part because... this wad is kinda boring. The previous wad we played was a genuinely nice homage, but this one is just kinda dull, especially map design wise. Even when comparing to the 1996 original. By the time I started map 5 I was just zoning out lol.

Honestly, for Ironman I'd rather play a super brutal slaughterwad and die withing 5 seconds, then something like this. This isn't neither exciting, nor that difficult, so the experience just drags.

lildevil_icar2015.zip

Edited by Li'l devil

6 hours ago, Hebonky said:

That's such horseshit honestly, I'm so mad. There is no way to even survive that without prior knowledge. 

It's a cheap gotcha trap, yeah, but I was able to survive this by reacting fast and running forward between these revenants, which I guess takes some luck too.

Posted (edited)

Category: 1 (never played either Icarus)

Dead on Map06 at 77:00

Kills: 138/149

DWIL_24-03_icar2015_SCF.zip

Spoiler

I thought I could do an archvile jump to the secret megasphere, but all the resurrected enemies got in the way, so I have no idea if it's impossible or if I just messed it up. I was pretty bored by that point so I was fine with dying there.

Shoutout to the two different chaingunners on map 4 that could hit me without being able to hit them back, almost died to that.

Not a very engaging wad, the biggest danger being chip damage and how stingy it is with armor.

Edited by SCF

Posted (edited)

Standard category 3*, survived in 2:21:10. dwironman_mar24_naza.zip Posted it on the server 26 hours ago but hadn't time to post it here until today.

Typical Eternal wad. Stuff like this doesn't bore me, I enjoy old-school sets like these much more than some modern ones as you die of attrition more often than to set-pieces. There's nothing unfair in the set, you just gotta keep having as little holes as you possibly can and you'll make it through. Endurance.

Spoiler

Enjoyable set. Made me want to play Icarus after this and I will do that when it gets alphabetically in order.

Around MAP08 I realized I don't have much time left and that I have to catch a train. That's why you'll see me playing quicker for the final three maps. My comfort zone is playing slowly, so this was a change both welcome and U N W E L C O M E... I managed to catch the train, luckily, hahahah. Considering how slow they are here in Croatia I would've caught up to it on foot anyway, heh.

There isn't a single trap where I expect a higher than average number of deaths. There's some difficult set-pieces, like an archvile with little cover on MAP08 or 09 in a water tank, but other than that, really not a lot.

Secrets help you immensely. I have not looked any of them up, but they were just natural to find, especially if you played old-school sets recently. I played City of Doom and similarly themed sets recently so that might be why I was doing well in that aspect. What also helps is the number of automaps - also considering the secrets containing them are usually among the easiest to find.

One thing I won't leave spoilered is a hint regarding MAP11's insanely weird progression. Inspect the bushes well unless you want to waste 5+ minutes on that. Don't want people to DNF there.

*I have NEVER played the set. I haven't even inspected it prior to selecting it. I trusted Alfonzo's word, and Eternal's prior work. However, when Hebonky said the trap that killed him is insanely unfair and not friendly to blind runners, I had to watch his manner of death to avoid a potential whitewash. Luckily, said trap is not that difficult to neutralize, as the current death count to it describes (single out of five performances that made it that far). It boiled down to having the wrong weapon out. Hopefully a first post and submission worded as such won't be detrimental to the numbers this month. 

Edited by NaZa

Nah, this set is unfairly difficult! It has revenants, chaingunners and arch-viles! They're unfair! They do too much damage!

Posted (edited)

Survived in 3:11:xx, Category I -- have seen a couple UV-Maxes of the original Icarus: Alien Vanguard, but nothing related to icar2015 :>

That took some time and I got lost and ran in circles several times, but I enjoyed having 1% health on a damaging floor :D

dvvica15.zip

Edited by Vince Vega

Posted (edited)

Category:1

Stopped on Map....07, I think with like 165 killed or something and possibly softlocked at 1:42:00. I don't know why that lift wouldn't lower because I was playing on the correct comp level.

lmd_icar2015.zip

Edited by LadyMistDragon

Category 1 demo. Survived in 3:23:39. Starting from map06 I got lost in every single map and I am sending extra negative energy to that one "switch" on map11 in particular.

Posted (edited)

Leaderboard updated. Complete with OBITUARIES! I know they're not super witty, but it's a start.

Yours truly holds the first place (hoping to not face fixing accusations!) with quite a fast run, looking at the current survival rates, but @Vince Vega's run of form so far in 2023 is also worth mentioning, as well as @Beginner's three out of four survivals in the last four months. @Andromeda seems to have delivered another strong run, following from January (we'll be treating February as a one-off).

On the yearly standings, there's a really clear cut between the Top 3 and the rest of us mortals. joe-ilya, @Asbadagba and @Maribo have all placed both challenges in the top three, albeit in differing positions; joe's 1st and 2nd netted him the overall lead so far, but the margins are damn fine. @Bertt91, despite being a bit further back, holds a strong fourth place, placing in the top 10 both months. Someone who also deserves to be mentioned in the Top 10 is definitely @Darth_wiader who, after a debuting year, ranked in the upper midfield both months and, as such, rose above some regulars who choked on either of the two months. As a whopping 27/29 Ironmen returned from January to submit for February, it's definitely worth noting as it's not a consequence of a larger number of one-offs. Of course, it's hard to look into forms and predictions when it's only the second month of the year. I might start three-month power rankings in the future, but that might be too cheesy? And considering the current state of the top three, unnecessary...

Post about the final 2023 rankings will be written tomorrow and posted after the next submission to avoid myself double posting.

Hope to see more runs! :) Just not necessarily making it to the exit within 2 hours and 20 minutes

Edited by NaZa

Bumping this with joe's submission, which nets him the lead so far, and as such, he continues his excellent streak:

Runner: joe-ilya

Category: 2

Result: Survived (2:03:36)

Port: Woof! 14.2.0

icar2015IRONMANjoe.lmp

Cat 2

Death: MAP08
Kills:168/205
Time: 1:28:28

Well, this month I couldn't do a good race due to a lack of concentration.
This month I loved Ironman. The duration, the constant search for secrets, the precise fights...
I saw this wad a long time ago but remembered very little.
The death (on map08) was because I was trapped fighting with the Archivile and an arachnotron hit me from behind, they caught me :( Congratulations to all the participants, especially those who completed!!

bertt91_icar2015.zip

Wow, first Ironman competition in 4 years... Time has flown since Eviternity 2. I also died there fairly quickly. This one didn't go too badly IMO. I kinda had a grasp of what was going on, it was just overwhelming and I have no idea how to preserve ammo and fight. Good attempt for me anyway, hopefully back next month for more slaughter!

Cat: 1
Death: Map01 4:47
Kills: 60/87

Video:

ICAR2015_MxCraven.zip

DEAD: Map01

Category: 1 (blind)

ToD: 7:50

Kills: 81/87

Difficulty: UV

Engine: DSDA-Doom 0.27.2

Demo: noisy_ICAR2015_ironman.zip

Very cool death.  10/10.  I have my gripes with mappers casually using MBF21 kill-floors (not as highly as unlicensed Spectre usage) but this is a whole 'nother level.

6 hours ago, SleepyVelvet said:
  Hide contents

Very cool death.  10/10.  I have my gripes with mappers casually using MBF21 kill-floors (not as highly as unlicensed Spectre usage) but this is a whole 'nother level.

I just happened to be playing Eternal Doom right when I did this Ironman, so I already got used to this kind of thing. Eternal has a lot of those "think or freaking DIE" moments, and as it so happened, the mapper who made ICAR2015 is apparently a fan of Eternal Doom (his username is literally Eternal, heh).

Here is my Category 1 submission.

Dead on: Map 01

Kills: 75/87

Time of death: 6:55

dwi_pegleg_icar2015_cat1.zip

I felt pretty good about being able to make it through Map 01 before being insta-killed. Those sort of setups irritate me somewhat, but I wondered if there was something like that there. Otherwise, I enjoyed the map. A good amount of ammo, adequate health that was around when needed, and decent monster placement during encounters. I would have liked to have seen more of the mapset. Perhaps I'll give it another shot in the last 24 hours of the month.

Posted (edited)

Category 1 (blind).

Entered MAP10 at 2:21:59.

Dead on MAP10 with 118/170 kills.

Means of death / comments:

Spoiler

Died at the BFG fight in the slime pit. Went in with 100 health and no armor, which was not great for a fight that gives you the BFG for free. Went straight for the archvile and fucked up his shit, but in doing so I triggered another monster closet without realizing it and got a flurry of mancubus fireballs in the back.

WAD does a pretty good job capturing that 90s classic megawad feel but its more fun to play. In terms of what isn't fun, some of the progression is a throwback to 90s switch hunting and this slowed me down on a few occasions.

Video:

Edited by ginc

Posted (edited)

Category 3 (I recorded some demos back then, though I remember very little, I have more "theme" memory than "monsters /keys/ encounters" memory).

Died on MAP08 after almost 2 hours

Spoiler

MAP01 -  5:09.40 (  5:09)  K:  86/87   I: 15/18  S: 2/3 
MAP02 -  6:18.34 ( 11:27)  K:  93/97   I: 34/41  S: 3/4 
MAP03 - 10:15.31 ( 21:42)  K: 124/124  I: 17/28  S: 3/7 
MAP04 - 13:24.40 ( 35:06)  K: 117/117  I: 32/42  S: 2/4 
MAP05 - 33:03.17 ( 68:09)  K: 195/199  I: 56/73  S: 1/3 
MAP06 -  9:01.83 ( 77:10)  K: 141/149  I: 29/44  S: 1/6 
MAP07 - 34:47.51 (111:57)  K: 258/263  I: 67/80  S: 6/8 

Cool mapset for speedrunning, though playing like this... I got very bored on MAP05, MAP07 and MAP08.

dwironman-mar24-vdgg.zip

Edited by vdgg