DVII_POSTER_SMALL.png.58ef1a7704df2e99c8c901e6d3688054.png

> The yearly standings

> The Ironman Discord Server

Standard Leaderboard

1. ...

Prepared Leaderboard

1. ...

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthly competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag at the bottom of the post for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In April 2024 the DWIronman League dies to Deus Vult II (-complevel 9), a 13-map episode made by Huy Pham (@Doom Marine). We declare a new Crusade on this Easter! Enjoy mesmerizing views throughout different realms, hilarious easter eggs and phenomenal at its time level design... until you realize it's not a walk in a park. Let the first couple maps prepare you for the "real" DVII, just like Scythe I and II do it, and then ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Essential Info

• Doom II (doom2.wad) + Deus Vult II (see below)
  • Compatibility level 9, or "Boom (strict)" for ZDoom derivative ports
  • 10 + 3 maps (see below)
  • Time estimate (if survival): 2 - 4 hours
  • I recommend OpenGL, as DVII maps are quite complex and may lag with the software rendering
  • And remember: Vince never heard of CC1 rule!

Note on map count: Apart from two secret levels, MAP29 gives you a choice. You can either go left and then the level immediately ends, or go right ("Belial you fvcker, come here") and then play full first Deus Vult. It's quite hard and requires 1-2 hours to complete.

So I give you a choice as well. If you skip the map, it will still be a survival, but the players who go play DV will receive lots of additional points!

Note on WAD pick: there are two versions of DVII: dvii-1i and dvii-1u. The first one is /idgames compatible, the second one has copyrighted music.

IIRC there are no map differences and they are compatible. If DW doesn't ban me for the link, pick the one you like the most :D

> Download dvii-1i (/idgames)

> Download dvii-1u (moddb)

prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -complevel 9 -file dvii-1i.wad -skill 4 -warp 1 -record dwi-dvii.lmp

Rules:

Reveal hidden contents

• There are two competitions: Standard and Prepared:

• To compete successfully in the Standard competition: your first play of the selected WAD(s) constitutes your one and only attempt for the month.

• To compete successfully in the Prepared competition: your one and only attempt for the month is determined BY YOU immediately before play and may follow any prior number of active (playing the set) preparation that is strictly for practice/inspection purposes only. You cannot compete in the Standard competition after submitting a run to the Prepared competition. You may submit the first of your practice attempts to the Standard competition.

• UV only (excepting 1CC format), continuous recording. No pistol-starting each level.
  • Demos (recorded using any port which can play back vanilla demo files, such as PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity, DSDADoom, Woof, Chocolate...), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
    • If you stream your run on Twitch, please highlight/save it so that it doesn't go missing in case someone's very late with the obituaries.
  • No additional WADs may be loaded. Cosmetic WADs are fine if they're purely cosmetic.
  • No inspection of the WAD(s)'s content in an editor if you are submitting a Standard run, its category 3 included.
  • No cheat codes and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.
  • If you choose to stream/record your run for video rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on the first map of a set OR because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels than their competitors will rank higher than them.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.
  • If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.
  • Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will stop your run immediately. You will still be registered as entering the next map (i.e. the one which you never entered) using a calculation to figure out what the intermission time would have been.
  • If you are competing in the Standard competition, you are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I cannot remember any details that would offer a reasonable advantage over truly blind players. *
  2. This is not a blind run. I have familiarity with the set - played the level/set before, or watched it being played, and can remember some details that would offer a reasonable advantage over blind players.
  3. This is not a blind run. While I have not outright played it, I've watched the level/set being played via stream, demo or video after it was announced as this month's challenge.

* "Reasonable" in this instance asks you to consider whether the details in question are worth committing to memory. As in, you would thank the person who gave you this information with a straight face and not expect to be laughed at for being an utter berk.

Previous threads:

Hide contents

Reveal hidden contents

07 - Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)

08 - Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)

09 - Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)

10 - Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: WH-Wilou84)

11 - Perdition's Gate (winner: WH-Wilou84)

12 - UAC Ultra (winner: PjSpartacus)

Reveal hidden contents

01 - Jade Earth (winner: Demon of the Well)

02 - Legacy of Heroes (winner: Roofi)

03 - Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)

04 - Mapgame (winner: ClonedPickle)

05 - Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)

06 - Disturbia (winner: Ancalagon)

07 - Insertion (winner: Veinen)

08 - Unholy Realms (winner: Demon of the Well)

09 - Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)

10 - Endgame & Endpoint (winner: Veinen)

11 - Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)

12 - Doom the Way id Did (winner: kmc)

Reveal hidden contents

01 - Combat Shock 2 (winner: Killer5)

02 - Coffee Break E1 (winner: Eris)

03 - Warlock's Hearth (winner: Demon of the Well)

04 - 50 Monsters (winner: WH-Wilou84)

05 - Double Impact (winner: RjY)

06 - Rush (winner: WH-Wilou84)

07 - The Darkening E1 & E2 (winner: Veinen)

08 - The Plutonia Experiment (winner: Zero-Master)

09 - Community Chest 4 - MAP20: Interstellar Sickness and MAP21: Shaman's Device (winner: leodoom85)

10 - Doom 64 for Doom II (winner: Roofi)

11 - TNT: Renascence & TNT: Resistance (winner: an_mutt)

12 - Ultimate Doom the Way id Did (winner: an_mutt)

Reveal hidden contents

01 - Hellfire: Dreams (winner: Beginner)

02 - THT: Threnody - MAP10: Fomalhaut (winner: Scotty)

03 - Stardate 20X6 (winner: WH-Wilou84)

04 - Base Ganymede: Complete (winner: Vince Vega)

05 - The DWIronman League died waiting for SIGIL (winner: John Romero)

06 - SIGIL (winner: leodoom85)

07 - Vanguard & Lunatic (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

08 - 2017 Collection (winner: an_mutt - prep winner: Vince Vega)

09 - Revolution! (winner: NaZa - prep winner: Pegleg)

10 - Monster Hunter Part I & Part II (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

11 - Abcess (winner: Demon of the Well - prep winner: Steve D?)

12 - Scythe (winner: Spectre01 - prep winner: Arbys550)

Reveal hidden contents

01 - Hellscape (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Archi)

02 - No Sleep for the Dead (winner: Ancalagon - prep winner: Anima Zero)

03 - Baker's Dozen (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

04 - Occult Secrets of the Third Reich & Biotech is Godzilla (winner: joe-ilya - prep winner: Horus)

05 - Bloody Rust (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: dt_)

06 - Vrack 1, 2 and 3 (winner: ReaperAA - prep winner: Bashe)

07 - Running Late 2 (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Pegleg)

08 - Epic (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Daerik)

09 - Hell Revealed (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)

10 - Dark Resolution 2008 (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Austinado)

11 - 2002: A Doom Odyssey: 10th Anniversary Edition Episode 3 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

12 - Eviternity (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Pegleg)

Reveal hidden contents

01 - Sawdust (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Daerik)

02 - Alien Vendetta (winner: Demonologist - prep winner: Anima Zero)

03 - Criticality & Miasma (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)

04 - World Orifice (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Killer5)

05 - Violence (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: ScrappyMcDoogerton)

06 - Firebox (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: 4shockblast)

07 - Scythe 2 (winner: Arbys550 - prep winner: an_mutt)

08 - Resurgence (winner: Beginner - prep winner: Suitepee)

09 - The Eye (winner: galileo31dos01 - prep winner: an_mutt)

10 - Glaive & Glaive 2 (winner: Veinen - prep winner: Tezur0)

11 - Sunlust (winner: Daerik - prep winner: nobody)

12 - H2H-XMas (winner: Daerik - prep winner: 4shockblast)

Reveal hidden contents

01 - Realm of Shades (winner: mhrz - prep winner: Pegleg)

02 - Return to Hadron E1 (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: Maribo)

03 - Syringe (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: SCF)

04 - Jägermörder 1 and 2 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Maribo)

05 - The Rebirth (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: NaZa)

06 - Man on the Moon (winner: Master Medi - prep winner: ginc)

07 - Vigor (winner: akolai - prep winner: SCF)

08 - Somewhere in Time (winner: Archi - prep winner: NaZa)

09 - Sucker Punch 1 & 2 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

10 - Sharp Things (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: LadyMistDragon)
11 - Knee-Deep in the Dead + .deh (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: Lol 6)

12 - Christmas Cheer from the Chill Zone (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: NaZa)

Reveal hidden contents

01 - Bury My Heart Knee Deep (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Maribo)

02 - LAZAREVENANT - 13 map WIP demo (winner: Suitepee - prep winner: nobody)

03 - Demonic Deviation (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: nobody)

04 - Beyond Revival (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Anima Zero)

05 - Malevolence (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Anima Zero)

06 - Return to Purgatory (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Anima Zero)

07 - Shotgun Symphony (winner: joe-ilya - prep winner: LadyMistDragon)

08 - Mutiny (winner: Asbadagba - prep winner: nobody)

09 - Containment Area (winner: LadyMistDragon - prep winner: nobody)

10 - U N W E L C O M E (winner: Master Medi - prep winner: nobody)

11 - Absolute Dishonor (winner: NaZa - prep winner: nobody)

12 - Rowdy Rudy's Revenge (winner: Asbadagba - prep winner: Pegleg)

Reveal hidden contents

01 - Black Rain, Community Chest 3 MAP12 (winner: Asbadagba - prep winner: Anima Zero)

02 - 25 Years of Doom II (winner: joe-ilya - prep winner: Pegleg)

03 - ICAR2015 (winner: joe-ilya - prep winner: ?)

Edited by Vince Vega

Posted (edited)

Sorry @NaZa but I'm dead xD

Category II (was watching a lot of UV-Maxes back in 2013-2014), MAP03, 81 kills, 10 minutes on the map / 34 minutes total.

I expected that since my DWI picks are always bitchy :p But I'd really like to see survivals, especially 13-map ones! :>

Note that if you don't go play MAP29, you won't be able to hit MAP31 and 32, IOW you either get 10 maps or 13.

dvvdviii.zip

Edited by Vince Vega

Posted (edited)

Gonna play this tommorow. I hope I'll be able to survive at least the first two maps (I guess from the OP they're much easier?).

1 hour ago, Vince Vega said:

And remember: Vince never heard of CC1 rule!

What rule?

Edited by Li'l devil

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Li'l devil said:

What rule?

CC1 is sometimes used for hard WADs. It works like that you start on UV and try to beat as many maps as possible. When you die, you start on HMP instead of UV. If you die, you start on HNTR. The final result will be the one with the most maps beaten.

I never played like that even when it was used, I haven't played on difficulties easier than UV for 13 years already, so you have only one UV try even though my both host submissions weren't simple (March'21: Criticality & Miasma, now that) :p

Edited by Vince Vega

50 minutes ago, Vince Vega said:

Note that if you don't go play MAP29, you won't be able to hit MAP31 and 32, IOW you either get 10 maps or 13.

MAP31 and MAP32 are accessed as usual through MAP15, not MAP29 I believe.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Andromeda said:

MAP31 and MAP32 are accessed as usual through MAP15, not MAP29 I believe.

If I remember well, there is no map 15 in this set (and map 29 is the first deus vult, good luck guys ! ;) )

Edit : well, on prboom+ when you let the countdown level go without interfering, map 15 leads you to map 16, BUT when you use the skip level key on map 15, leads you to 31... maybe a special trick from this key on prboom, don't know...

Edited by apichatpong

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, apichatpong said:

If I remember well, there is no map 15 in this set (and map 29 is the first deus vult, good luck guys ! ;) )

Yeah there's no actual level on the MAP15 slot, but it contains both a normal exit and a secret one to MAP31 (which is the only way to access both secret levels on non ZDoom ports AFAIK).

Edited by Andromeda

Posted (edited)

I expected insane slaughter from the beginning, but it was actually not that difficult at first. Although, I didn't expect to die to a horde of imps. Should've used plasma gun there, I guess (although, if I used it up there, the lack of cells would've probably screwed me over a bit later). In any case, I didn't expect to stand any chance against this.

Freaking died on map 2.

Map 1 exit time: 8:05.

Oh by the way, I played on OpenGL like OP suggested, and I still had framerate issues.

Edit: forgot to mention the category, but I think it's obvious that it's category 1 for me.

lildevil-dvii.zip

Edited by Li'l devil

Considering the insanely lucky escapes I had in three (!) situations in a row immediately prior to my death, I guess this end was natural.

Dead on MAP02, category 1.

Spoiler

1. I knew grabbing the plasma would activate something, but I wasn't anticipating that. Still, made it through. Barely.

2. Immediately after that, hey there hell knights. Please don't kill me. I still have no idea how the hell I managed to avoid getting scratched more than once, I really panicked.

3. Avoiding that archvile flame AND chaingunners was the thing I needed to survive, I thought in that moment. Sadly, the cacodemon behind my back had other plans...

dwironman_apr24_naza.zip

Category 2

Dead at Map 02 at 13:04

It's possible I may have slightly underestimated how in-your-face Huy Pham is but moreover, that last room behind the red door was horribly managed. Although....

Spoiler

I'm also pretty sure an Arch-vile appears somewhere toward the end on that lift at any rate regardless.

lmd_dvii.zip

Posted (edited)

Welcome to "dead at map 2" club. Most people are joining it this ironman.

Edited by Li'l devil

Category 1

Dead at MAP03 at whatever time in the video

a lot of kills

got the world's luckiest MAP02 exit i genuinely had no fucking idea that i would just magically get a map03 reset that shit was nuts

Standard, category 2. I've played some of the maps a long time ago, though I never finished any of them and I don't remember much. Playing on PrBoom+ with keyboard+mouse controls. And yeah, I died on map 2. Ran right into some really damaging projectiles and then the imp horde behind the red door finished me off.

solarn-dwi-dvii-2.7z

Posted (edited)

Category II, prepared

Dead on MAP03 (ran out of ammo, got lost, met a Mancubus)

DSDA-Doom

I knew I wasn't going to make it much further. I used to play this wad loads, its been a few years, but it was the sort of wad I'd cheat through purely to massacre everything and run around gawking at the architecture which still looks delicious. This is probably my first honest attempt at DVII. Follows a number of runs where MAP01 was little bother, but various points of MAP02 (mainly the red key ambush) tripped me up. Pure adrenaline! Still one of the greatest.

dwi-dvii-som.zip

Edited by Somniac

Posted (edited)

Category 1

Dead on Map02

Kills: 77/213

Spoiler

This is one of my worst blunders in an ironman. I should have been using the Plasma to deal with the cacos and then attack the archvile (which I didn't expect). Goddamn it.

download: ki_dvii

Edited by SuyaSSS
of course my dumb ass forgot to put the download link to the demo

cat 2 (i've played it several times, one of my favorite wads)
dead on map21
dead at 96:54 (1:36:54)
map21 entered at 76:54 (1:16:54)
262/1014 kills

i overdosed on berserk packs

ironman_2024_04_asbadagba.zip

commentary edition:

Spoiler

Not sure which category my attempt falls into.  I haven't touched this mapset since those massive writeups I posted in the Megawad Club.  And while I am somewhat familiar with the layouts, got vaporized on the first map and it happens to be the map I remember the least.  So what foreknowledge I have feels mostly irrelevant to the attempt.

Kills: didn't check exactly, probably less than half.  At least my death here felt like a spectacle rather than dying in the first minute. (which did come close to happening, dropping to single digit health)  Pfft.

dsda-doom -cl9

dwiron_dv2_cnr.zip

7 minutes ago, Crusader No Regret said:

I haven't touched this mapset since those massive writeups I posted in the Megawad Club.  And while I am somewhat familiar with the layouts, got vaporized on the first map and it happens to be the map I remember the least.

Category 2, but a noble one.  No shame.  Also, Map01's are usually the most hard, and I feel like many people secretly don't post their runs if they die on Map01.  Also, I did good this month so the more uploads the better for me :)

1 hour ago, SleepyVelvet said:

Also, Map01's are usually the most hard, and I feel like many people secretly don't post their runs if they die on Map01.

Excuses!!!!!

Category 2(?) demo. Died on map03, got shot by a chaingunner from a pretty far distance.

Real quick, how big of a deal is it if I straight up just OBS the attempt and you're forced to listen to Yakuza music in the background?